I have copied the post here as it has some useful hints and a link to Wiltshire Council's website re road gritting and snow clearance and with a map to show where this will happen.....
"You may have noticed new green salt / grit bins around town. The Town Council has purchased a dozen of these and they are in addition to the yellow bins which are provided by Wiltshire Council.
Both types of bin contain rock salt. This is provided for residents' use to treat roads and pavements when the need arises. Here are usage tips from Wiltshire Council:
- Salt is most effective when spread before the snow falls
- Clear snow before spreading salt. Adding a small amount of grit/sand to the salt is more effective during snow fall
- Spread salt thinly, just one tablespoon is enough to treat 1 square metre
- Attempt to create a safe route through a path / street, rather than clearing the full width of a road
- Beware of traffic, wear bright clothes and work with neighbours
- Do not spread salt in the rain - it will only wash away
- If a bin is empty, use table salt instead
There is more information from Wiltshire Council about road gritting and snow clearance here."